Saturday 12 August 2017

Spirit of LIfe

When we were on holiday last month, I began to think about returning to organ-playing. Something to carry forward into retirement. Might even begin a new 'ministry'!  Coming home, I was met with the discovery that on Sunday, 13th (tomorrow) there was no one available at All Saints to play the organ. And I just happen to be rota'd there for that service. And, as it happens, not preaching - just presiding at Holy Communion. So, sooner rather than later, I find myself playing in public, moving from organ stool to altar table and back again. First time I've played in public for 6 years! I remind myself that this is an offering of worship no less than preaching or presiding at communion; and the time I would have spent preparing a sermon I have been using to practise the organ instead. Just hope the good folks of All Saints aren't distracted by too many uncertain sounds.

The theme in McLaren's book this week is death, and I must say he makes it sound most attractive, from the perspective of Christian faith.  In light of Jesus' death and resurrection, we can expect to experience death as a passage, like birth, the end of one life stage and the beginning of another (p306). On the other side, we can expect to experience as never before the unimaginable light or energy of God's presence. We will enter a goodness so good, a richness so rich, a holiness so holy, a mercy and love so strong and true that all our pride, lust, greed, resentment and fear will instantly be melted out of us (p307). You may imagine that dying will be like diving or falling or stepping into a big wave on the beach. You feel yourself lifted off your feet and taken up into a swirl and curl and spin more powerful than you can imagine. But there will be no fear, because the motion and flow will be the dance of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The rising tide will be life and joy (p308).

Seeing death in this way, we are freed from the fear of it and therefore able to live this life more fully.


No comments:

Post a Comment